Sunday, December 27, 2009

Merry Christmas!

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

 Merry Christmas!!
I hope this season has found you warmly and that your heart has been gently softened towards the special meaning behind this holiday..our Savior's birth!

  I love this time of year, and not just because it's my birthday month or that Andes mints seem to be on display everywhere I look (although, not so much here in Germany). I love it because even amidst the craziness of life people seem to smile more, our similarites, rather than differences, seem to draw us closer together. All week I have been wishing people a "Merry Christmas" but in German! The celebration of our King's birth transcends borders and language barriers, how amazing!
  Here are a few pics of the beautiful German countryside from a walk Caroline and I took last week:
  We got a lot more snow after these were taken! It got here just in time for our vistors to have a white winter in Germany! You can also see some of the damage we did on bake day, as usual we covered all available counter space in the kitchen!

 It's an annual thing for all of the women in my family and some female friends (we kick the guys out for the day) to get together one day in early December and bake up to 12-15 different kinds of cookies to eat and share with friends and family! We look forward to a day of baking, eating homemade soup, frosting hundreds of cookies, reminiscing about the past and, delivering heaping plates of goodies to friends and neighbors! This year was different because we gave some to our German friends and they in turn shared with us some of their traditional cookies and birthday cake! We had to laugh, their's were savory and small, ours were heaping with frosting and much bigger (I'll post some of their cookies later)! See below:

The extended table filled quickly!

Okay so we didn't kick the guys out this year, and we had an additional helper holding the powdered sugar box. What a big helper she was!

One of our finished platters!

This has nothing to do with bake day but I decided to throw it in as well. I visited a neighboring Christmas market with some new friends and had my first crepe....with some Nutella, YUM! We met a few German people at this market, they couldn't believe that I'd left America and ended up in their 'small' city (about 180,000) for an "adventure," they thought it was pretty funny! Grass is always greener on the other side, huh!

This Christmas season in a new country has been so much fun, I am learning all the time and experiencing new things. I am so very thankful to Jesus for this opportunity and can't wait for whatever's up ahead!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and that the joy that you've experienced celebrating Jesus' birth carries over throughout this coming new year and draws you closer to Him!
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment